Teaching with Tech

Student Privacy

on March 5, 2017

This is the 8th #EdublogsClub prompt. As the coordinator of ICT in my school, I have been encouraging teachers to publish student work online. I believe it is important for students to share their work because they have a real audience and are motivated to do their best.  They love it when family members comment on their work. It also teaches them how to be a good digital citizen and enables conversations about what is safe to post, using an authentic situation.

I discuss what is safe to post online throughout the year with all year levels (Kindergarten to Year 6). For example, when creating videos with Year 5s, we talk about the fact that they will be going on the Internet. A discussion about what is safe to have in the video ensues – ie not the school logo. Cybersmart Detectives is a fantastic resource aimed at Year 4, which shows what information shouldn’t be posted and what to do if something goes wrong.

Where I struggle is when trying to use the many excellent educational tools, which require student accounts and for students to be 13+ to join. For example, Tynker is a great resource for teaching coding skills in middle primary, however, I need to obtain parent consent for students under 13 to join. Often, this is quite difficult as parents do not return forms and then I end up with one or two students who cannot have an account (I am not a classroom teacher, therefore, cannot follow these parents up in person). If you have ideas for how to work around this, please let me know.

One Response to “Student Privacy”

1. patrickgustafson says:

Hi Lee,

I could not agree with you more. Thank you for the thoughtful post on student privacy issues/concerns.

I to believe we need to take advantage of the 21st-century tools available to us. We should be publishing student work. Years ago, that meant hanging student papers up in the classroom or creating a book of student writing and sending it home. Today, we should be taking advantage of the digital age.

It is a struggle to get parents involved and signing off on consent forms. It is time-consuming and a seemingly endless task. If you, or anyone else comes up with a solution, I would love to hear it!